As the standard progressed from its DIS stage to final publication, there was a high level of debate and anticipation.
With the International Standard, there are some very significant new requirements and a change in approach that can bring challenges to those transitioning their quality management system. However, approached correctly, ISO 9001 can bring these benefits:
1. Integration of the QMS into the core of the business
2. A complete grounding in the process approach, as well as the PDCA cycle
3. A broadening of the QMS where responsibilities now span the organization
4. Introduction of risk-based thinking as the foundation of QMS planning
5. Involvement of Top Management as leaders
6. The emphasis on performance and outcomes.